- Alkalising (1)
- Benefits of Vitamin D (1)
- Body Care (1)
- Good Food For Weight Loss (1)
- Hay Fever (1)
- healthy eating (2)
- Healthy Shopping List (1)
- Healthy Wedding (1)
- Human Heart Facts (1)
- Juices and Smoothies (1)
- Migraines (1)
- Organic Foods UK (1)
- Super Foods List (1)
- Superfoods for Skin (1)
- What can help me sleep (1)
- Wholefoods UK (1)
Juices and Smoothies
Juices are “Nature’s finest liquid fuel” as Jason Vale would say. Juicing offers many life-enhancing health benefits, including a faster, more efficient to absorb a wealth of vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients contained in fruits and vegetables. It also provides a way to access digestive enzymes typically locked in the fibre matrix contained in these foods.
For years we have been told to eat our 5 pieces of fruit and vegetables a day. In contrast, the French are told to eat ten portions a day, the Canadians between five and ten, and the Japanese 13 portions of vegetables and four pieces of fruit. Scientists claim if we upped it to at least seven portions it could have positive effects on our mood and outlook. They discovered that people who eat between 7 – 8 portions a day felt happier about themselves and life.
However the sad fact is that despite spending millions on campaigns to get the British population to up their fruit and vegetable intake, fewer than a third of Britons hit that target. However these rather unpopular foods of nature are making a star studded come back – in the form of juices and smoothies. These provide an easy way of packing a fair few portions of fruit and vegetables into your daily routine, with very little preparation or chewing! Celebrities such as Angelina Jolie, Kylie Minogue, Katie Price and Simon Cowell have all extolled the virtues of juicing.
Benefits of Juices and Smoothies
The powerful effects of fresh juices is partly due to the high concentrations of health-enhancing chemicals they contain, but also to the fact that it s easier for the body to absorb and assimilate essential nutrients quickly and efficiently when they are taken in liquid form. Juices are like the first emergency services – freeing up blockages, eliminating toxins, fighting free radicals, protecting us from ailments and maintaining normal bodily functions.
Often the juice or smoothie of choice will be one with high fruit content. However the real power is in the green juices and smoothies. Green juices were at the core of Max Gerson’s protocol. The Gerson Cancer Therapy was an integrated set of medical treatment which is said to have cured many cases of advanced cancer. Green juices are a rich source of chlorophyll – this has powerful alkalising and detoxification properties and is a similar substance to human hemoglobin so is very nourishing for the blood. So when you make your juice or smoothie, try to incorporate plenty of greens into them.
Supercharge Your Juices
The difference between a juice and a smoothie is that a juice has had fibre extracted and a smoothie retains the fibre. At Chiray we believe they both have benefits and we try to incorporate at least one of each into our daily routine. We also like to incorporate an array of superfoods into our juices and smoothies to pack an extra powerful nutrient punch. Some of our favourites to add are Chiray Supergreens, wheatgrass, barleygrass, spirulina, chlorella, goji berries, raw cacao and maca.
A word about shop bought juices and smoothies. In general all shop bought products will have been pasteurised, which essentially eliminates most of the wonderful nutrients, minerals and enzymes contained in the raw form. They also tend to be high in sugar and generally something that at best should be avoided and at worse drunk in moderation and watered down.
Get Up and Green
• ½ Cucumber
• 1 apple
• ½ – 1 avocado
• Couple of handfuls of lettuce / spinach / kale
• Lemon juice
• Handful goji berries (you can buy these from us)
Blend all of these together.
• 2 sticks celery
• ½ small cucumber
• 2 chunks broccoli
• 2 handfuls spinach
• 1-2 apples
• 1 inch ginger
• Juice ½ lemon
• ½ ripe avocado
• Small handful of ice
Juice all the ingredients (except the avocado and ice). Place the juice into a blender and blend together with the avocado and ice.
• ¼ small pineapple
• ½ raw beetroot
• ½ cucumber
• Juice ½ lemon
• Handful of spinach
• ½ avocado
• Handful ice
Juice all the ingredients (except the avocado and ice). Place the juice into a blender and blend together with the avocado and ice.
• 2 handfuls strawberries
• 1 teaspoon Berrylicious
• 2 dessertspoons hulled hemp seeds
• 1tsp – 1 heaped dessertspoon of maca
• Coconut water (amount depends on desired thickness)
• 2 dessertspoons natural yogurt
• Pinch vanilla powder / couple drops vanilla essence
Blitz all the ingredients together in a blender and serve in a martini glass!
This makes a great breakfast – and kids love it!
• Handful strawberries
• Handful raspberries
• ½ banana
• 30g hemp seeds
• 25g sunflower seeds (pre soaked if possible – just soak overnight in some water)
• 25g cashew nuts (pre soaked if possible – just soak overnight in some water)
• 25g Brazil nuts (pre soaked if possible – just soak overnight in some water)
• Large piece ginger (optional)
• Approximately 250ml coconut water (or you can just use water)
Wiz all the ingredients together.
For more information please visit the website or contact us on 01202770927, our staff would be more than happy to help.
Vitamin D Benefits
Vitamin D benefits have been in the spotlight over the past few years. One major reason for this is the increase in cases of Vitamin D deficiency. Vitamin D is a vitamin and pro-hormone which is rarely found in natural foods. Our bodies naturally produce it by synthesizing ultraviolet light from the sun. It is required in the body to make proper use of calcium for stronger bones and teeth. Vitamin D deficiency is often the cause of bone diseases in children and adults, including osteoporosis and rickets.
Health experts are becoming more concerned about the impact of not getting enough sunlight in the body. Our summers are wetter than usual, we spend hours cooped up indoors and when we do get out in the sun we tend to cover ourselves in high factor suntan lotions. Added to this, the stresses and strains of modern life are making it increasingly difficult to make our own Vitamin D.
The Government has recently become concerned with the low Vitamin D status of many people in the UK and they advise “that to ensure sufficient intake, the following groups of people should take a vitamin D supplement:
• All pregnant and breast feeding women.
• All infants and young children from 6 months to 5 years of age.
• Older people aged 65 and over
• People who have low or no exposure to the sun.”
Vitamin D is most commonly known for its role in building strong bone and teeth and helping to prevent osteoporosis. These are however only a couple of the benefits of vitamin D, it is now known to have the following other important functions:
• Plays a major function in our overall health and well-being
• Supports the immune system
• Regulates cell growth which could help protect against certain types of cancer
• Aids glucose tolerance
• Helps regulate blood pressure
• Supports good mental health, helping to combat depression
• Low vitamin D levels have been associated with the development of Multiple Sclerosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
• Helps to protect against Age-Related Macular Degeneration.
Sunlight is necessary for the synthesis of Vitamin D3, which is produced underneath the skin following exposure to sunlight. D3 is also contained in foods such as salmon, mackerel, tuna, sardines, milk, eggs, beef and liver.
Do you know your levels?
Nutritional Therapist Manjula Cote recommends finding out your Vitamin D levels before supplementing. “This way you will be able to supplement exactly the right amount for your individual requirements.” If you would like to find our whether you have a Vitamin D deficiency there are simple tests you can do. You can order a test kit via the Chiray website. This test is easy to do, it is involves a thumb prick blood test (that is easy to do yourself), the sample is then placed in the envelope provided and sent to the laboratory. The results are sent back to Qualified Nutritional therapist Manjula Cote who will call you with the results and advise on appropriate supplementation to maintain healthy levels of this vital nutrient. The supplement recommended by Manjula is called DLux, which is an oral vitamin D spray.
If you would like any more information about this subject or any of the products supplied by Chiray please contact our staff on 01202 770927.
Easy Steps to a Healthy Wedding.
Weddings are all about perfection, the perfect ceremony, the perfect venue and the perfect bride. But this can all come at a high cost and not just to your bank balance. Crash diets, high stress, anxiety and undue pressure all add up to create a health debt that continues long after the big day.
The good news is it’s not difficult to look beautiful both inside and out on your wedding day if you focus on 3 key areas, and these are:
1. staying healthy with good nutrition
2. staying motivated with simple coaching techniques
3. staying calm with the ancient art of yoga.
Staying Healthy With Good Nutrition
Good nutrition doesn’t have to be complicated. If you follow these easy steps you will be well on your way to looking and feeling the best you ever.
• Don’t crash diet – remember for healthy and sustainable weight loss 2lbs a week is realistic.
• Drink about 2 litres of water a day
• Eat a rainbow of fruit and vegetables – these will contain a wealth of antioxidants that destroy free radicals that damage cells.
• Eat regularly throughout the day – breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. This ensures that your blood sugar levels are kept stable throughout the day. This is crucial for general well being and key to weight loss. Chiray have designed a great organic snack range in 3 delicious flavours – Cheeky Chomp, Super Snack and Chunky Mix. These are packed full of protein and will keep you feeling fuller for longer.
• Never skip breakfast – especially not on your wedding day!
• Have a little protein at every meal and snack (e.g. chicken, fish, eggs, nuts, seeds, pulses, tofu)
• If you have a juicer or live/work near a juice bar incorporate a daily juice. Avoid too much fruit and focus more on vegetables (especially greens). For example cucumber, celery, spinach, apple and ginger make a great juice packed full of nutrients.
• Add in some superfoods – a teaspoon each of Chiray Supergreens and Berrylicious mixed in with a little juice pack a mighty superfood punch. The combination will give you an abundance of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to fight off those free radicals and keep you looking beautiful. They also have powerful alkalising properties to keep you in good health.
• Avoid – caffeine, alcohol, sugar and too much salt.
• Go easy on carbohydrates (especially biscuits, crisps, cakes, sweets, pastries etc) and always use whole grains e.g. brown rice and wholemeal pasta
• Include some good oils in your diet. Coconut, flax, olive and hemp oil are good choices. Use them to dress salads or pour over food once it’s been cooked. Also include a daily fish oil supplement as this is an excellent source of Omega 3. Research suggests that Omega 3 can aid weight loss and has a host of other benefits. The product we suggest at Chiray is Krill Oil.
To keep yourself motivated it’s important to set goals. Your wedding is your long term goal, but to keep yourself on track you need to set weekly goals so you have something more realistic to aim for. Each week set a weight loss goal (if appropriate), a health goal (e.g. you may want to improve your skin by drinking more water) and an exercise goal. Make sure these goals are realistic. It’s also important to give yourself a weekly reward to keep you motivated – just make this doesn’t involve food or drink!
Hold an image in your head of how you would like yourself to look and feel on your wedding day. Every day visualise this image and know that by keeping focused on your goals you are moving ever closer to this image.
Beliefs guide our decisions and behaviour. So in your quest for super health and a super look, ensure limiting beliefs are not holding you back. For example a limiting belief may be “I can’t do this, I haven’t got time.” Instead of focusing on this, concentrate on an empowering alternative e.g. “I know this is just an excuse, I will work on way s to create more time for myself. I shall prioritise my health and well being.”
Staying Calm with Yoga
To help you glide into your wedding day in a more Zen like way, try practicing some pre-wedding yoga. If you’ve never tried it before you’ll be surprised at how effective it is for combating stress and nerves. This ancient practice has a wealth of benefits including promoting calm, aiding weight loss, toning and improving flexibility, improving digestion and
balancing hormones. A class also provides a quiet space for you to take some time out of your busy schedule.
If you’ve never tried yoga before there are many of different varieties, so you may need to try a few classes before you find one you like. For a practice that helps to balance and harmonise mind, body and spirit try to find a class that incorporates Hatha poses, deep relaxation, pranayama (breathing practices) and meditation.
Please see the Chiray website for details of yoga classes, workshops and retreats.
If you follow these 3 steps you’ll be well on track to achieving optimum health, your ideal weight, increased energy, glowing skin, a calm mind and a healthy libido! Start your married life on a natural high!
To find out more about the wholefoods, superfoods and high quality supplements sold by Chiray, please contact us on 0120 277 0927 for more information. Our staff are always on standby to take your questions and answer them to the best of their knowledge.
Organic Foods UK.
At Chiray we only supply the finest and most useful organic foods in the UK.
Organic foods by definition are foods which are produced using the methods listed under organic farming.
A few example of organic farming are:
- Crop rotation.
- Using green manure.
- Using biological pest control.
- Use of non synthetic fertilizers and pesticides.
One of the main components of organic farming is the use of green manure this is created when plants such as alfalfa and rye are grown in to the ground, on your growing patch the season before, and then are dug in to your soil before planting and this adds nutrients and organic matter that breaks down giving good soil structure which is perfect for organic farming.
We have a few products we are great in helping to improve your body and its health.
Goji berries have been in the health industry for many years and they have a vast amount of health benefits for anyone that takes them.
We have created a short list of the key benefits for this product:
- Increase in oxygen efficiency – This means that whenever you do any exercise these berries will help you to to make sure that your body utilises oxygen in a much more efficient manner. This allows you to exercise for longer before the onset of fatigue becomes a restricting factor.
- Aids in weight loss – These organic goji berries contain a low amount of GL, are high in fibre, and contain chronium which is an important nutrient in helping to make sure your blood sugar is regulated and this in turn helps to preserve lean muscle mass in your body.
- Helps to strengthen and support glands which are responsible for producing energy, muscle growth and repair.
At Chiray we feel that organic goji berries are one of the best organic foods UK you can possibly purchase as their health benefits are vast and varied.
Cacao is a naturally occurring fruit and is indigenous to South America. When it was discovered it was originally called theobroma cacao which is translated to “cacao, food of the gods”.
A few of the main features of the Raw Cacao Nibs include:
- Highest levels of antioxidants – Raw cacao out of all the food in the world contains the highest levels of antioxidants which help to protect us from age-related health conditions and free radical damage.
- Beneficial to your entire cardiovascular system – The antioxidants found in the cacao nibs can actively prevent the plaque built up in arteries which will help to reverse the conditions of heart disease and lower blood pressure.
- Highest whole food source of magnesium – This helps to relax your muscles and improve peristalsis in the bowels. It also helps to relax the heart and cardiovascular system.
Organic wheatgrass powder is a sure fire way to improve your diet and pack your body full of vitamins and nutrients.
Here are some of the key features you will acquire with organic wheatgrass powder:
- Improvement of physical and mental sense of well-being.
- Improvement of your immune system.
- Helps to remove any heavy metals from the body.
- Balance pH levels
- Improve digestive health and relieve constipation.
- Support circulatory health.
- Improves skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Increase vitality, well-being and higher energy levels.
Overall we feel that organic wheatgrass powder is one of the most useful organic foods UK that we provide here at Chiray.
To find out more about organic foods UK and what they can do for you please make sure to contact Chiray on 0120 277 0927 for more information. Our staff are always on standby to take your questions and answer them to the best of their knowledge.